Tuesday, February 17, 2015

From Handspun To Necklace: New Tutorial Coming!

When you're new to handspinning, it's often difficult to decide what to do with your first skeins. You spent a long time making it, so you want to pick a special project...and one which doesn't require much yardage. A few years ago, people started making t-shirt yarn cowl/necklaces, and probably around that time, handspinners began using textured art yarn to make them as well. And there are many tutorials out there regarding this project. So, what can I possibly bring you? I'm going to do a step by step, with videos, so you can make one of these cowl/necklaces with just one fiber batt. 

Here are my two candidates. The purple batt is called Reaver (now sold out), and the blue batt is called A Cloudy Day, and can be found in my shop. For the week of February 14-21, 2015, this batt is on sale for 15% off (head to Facebook for the discount coupon!):






I love the shiny contrast of the Reaver batt, and I love the silk noils in the Cloudy Day batt. I think they'll turn out to be lovely neck accessories. Each batt is approximately 50g, so if you want to follow along with me, that's all the fiber you need. Because I have two batts, I will do two different kinds of yarn so you can get ideas for your own project. And if you're a beginner, you'll naturally make a lumpy, bumpy, slubby yarn...and it'll be perfect for this cowl/necklace/thingie. :)

In this video, I talk about the ideas I have for this project with some random fiber I found locked away in my storage unit. Any yarn will do, just be sure it'll be suitable for wearing around your neck. So, will you do this project with me? Post in the comments below so we can work on this together!


No comments:

Post a Comment